Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Safety for a reason

Ok, I'm a safety professional. My main job is to make sure that employees of a particular company are working safely day and night. And of course there are those that don't want to abide by said rules for whatever reason they feel like giving today. And then there are those that complain for any reason that they can come up with. I have been told by multiple people today that it's extremely hot in the plant. Well, Captain Obvious, I had heard through different tv and radio stations, and also other media outlets that it would be over 90 degrees with an heat index of 95-100. I imagine that it would be hot. But instead of taking all of your breaks and lunch outside smoking, you could take them inside in the cafeteria or just inside the doors where it's cool and you could relax.

Now, there is a flip side to some of this. There are corners and catwalks in the plant that are up above near the ceiling where work needs to be done and the heat can't escape. I give those employees a lot of slack to perform their tasks. Take as many breaks as you need (within reason of course) and hydrate a lot. No, don't worry about wearing all of the normal safety gear because, at this point, it becomes more of a hazard than a help.


{See I do understand}


But I'm new. I'm new to management and I'm new to the floor employees. Neither one really know how they're going to handle me or vice versa. But they'll all find out that the one thing I am >>>> is FAIR. I will do my job and do it well for both sides. I can prove through documentation and charts that I'm good at what I do. The last company saved over $250k in one year on work comp costs and reduce their injuries by 60%. If allowed to perform the same type tasks, I'll do it again.


But right now, people just aren't ready to let me run yet. And that's ok. I'll take my time and do the dance. And I really am ok with this. I need a chance to get my bearings with filing, paperwork, their way of doing things (which I may say has been done very well by Angie Tessmer), and the community. It's a great plant and will be a new adventure.

Anyway, back to the beginning of this ramble. Safety is very important but there are definitely times for give and take. If they'll help to follow the majority of the rules and try not to get hurt, I won't scream at them. I'll also help to accomodate their needs with maintenance, equipment, safety gear, and schedules. The worst thing that they'll have to put up with is my training. I'm not sane, but I am entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment